Monday, February 23, 2009

Forbidden Joys - Artist's Way

This topic in my current chapter of Artist's Way (Recovering a sense of possibility) is a little ironic this week as it is Carnival. Only my forbidden joys are a bit tamer I imagine than most party-goers this week:)

This chapter really gets you thinking about what you really want- what you consider to be too crazy to do or go after, what is on your 'wish list', and what images support these desires (time to really visualize what these things look like and collect them into a file). I keep forgetting to do this once I close the book, but now I've written a couple index cards as reminders.

A few examples from my own lists follow.

"I wish"...
- I would get my a__ in the studio and work/play creatively for just a couple hours a day!
- I could help those less fortunate/those who are suffering
- I read more books
- I spoke better German
- I could travel just about anywhere, whenever I wanted to
- I exercised/practiced yoga more often
- I didn't have this crappy carcinoma right on my nose, or at all really
- I were more productive creatively
- I could do something I love and that pays!

"What I would try if it weren't too crazy"...
- Yoga retreat
- Creative (photography, drawing, or painting) workshop/vacation
- Produce and sell my own artwork
- Open a store/gallery/shop of some kind that sold other artists' work
- Dance classes (belly dancing? Tango? Salsa? I dont know!)
- Write a book/stories about my crazy family or my experiences married to a german/italian
- Go back to school

And finally, "Forbidden Joys- 10 things you love and would love to do, but are not allowed to"
- Go shopping (although many times i'm no at all in the mood anymore, I wouldn't mind having a better wardrobe:)
- Sit in the sun
- Get massages/facials/pedicures
- Go to museums and sketch, wander around (ok, I could do this, but for some reason I just dont)
- Ignore household chores
- Move to a bigger/nicer place (or get a place in U.S. and a place here)

That's only 7 but that's enough for now (and I need to think about this some more).

I'll end with a quote from the chapter by Peter Drucker. I often am not aware of the individual behind the quote or would like to learn more about the person, so I'll also link them for more information about the person).
He says, "There is the risk you cannot afford to take, (and) there is the risk you cannot afford not to take. "

No comments: