Saturday, November 8, 2008

La lala lalalala lala..

Feeling kinda whimsical..maybe its the cookie dough. Or my new fancy scissors I just bought to play with. And I pulled out an old trick from my past life as a graphic design student when we had every color in nature for markers - and even a blender (non)color, which I seemed to recall us doing interesting little image transfers with. The guy at Kaut Bullinger art supply store in Munich said it wouldn't work but I had to trust my instincts. While its not the ideal method using this marker for an image transfer, and I know many other experienced artists are more familiar with this and other techniques, it was fun just playing around. I think I'll keep this in the back of my mind for future projects though.

The concept of the hands and stars come from my 'coach' who said I should try to contact my future self and see what advice she might offer me at this point in my life... I'm still waiting for her answer, but at least I'm trying to hear her now! Helloooooo?




I also just have to post this video that I love and am totally jealous at the same time of this 'Matt' character! But love his little dance and the people who participate. I can't begin to imagine the stories he has putting this together - see if you find your city! Munich makes its appearance, and it wasn't even raining!! Stride Gum sponsored it all (what a deal for him!) The video makes me all warm and fuzzy inside and I had to buy the song I liked it so much (scroll down for more on that). I'm not able to embed the video right into the blog, so here's the link. It's really worth a watch (but maybe copy and paste otherwise you'll leave this blog and will miss the wonderful poem below...

www.wherethehellismatt.com

The song is called 'Praan' and the music is by Garry Schyman. However, the lyrics are from a poem by a Nobel Prize winning Indian author named Rabindranath Tagore. The English version of the poem is loosely translated from the original, in Bengali, and according to Matt is more of an interpretation. I really like the poem. On his website (in FAQ section) he also lists the lyrics as they ended up in the song - much shorter.

The Stream of Life

The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day
runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.

It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth
in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle
of birth and of death, in ebb and in flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life.
And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment.